Saturday, May 22, 2010

"FIGHTER" posted by Amber (Ashley's sister)


When we started this process of creating an event to raise money for Ryan's care, Ashley told me that if we raised $5,000 she would shave her head. I knew that would be easily obtainable because of the amazing family, friends and community we live in. I told her, "You better shoot a little higher Sis. We will raise that easily. How about if we raise $20,000 you shave your head?" She said, "Nope, $5,000."  We all know you don't argue with Ash when she sets her mind to something, but I honestly thought she was kidding. Well, two days ago I was going over our donations and we had $4,800. The past week the checks have finally started to pour in. I have been getting several each day, plus the paypal. I called Ashley and asked her if her razor was sharp because by tomorrow I was SURE we would have $5,000. She said "SERIOUSLY!" I gave her a list of all you wonderful friends that have donated, sponsored holes, and bought slots for the tournament. She put me on speaker and made me repeat everything to Ryan. They were SO excited!!! She said to Ryan, "Honey, looks like I am shaving my head." I reminded her that I though she should shoot higher. She said NO she said $5,000 and that is what she meant!

The next day I had set up a meeting set up at 5:00 with some fellow volunteers that are helping me with the fund raiser. Ashley called and told me she would be there at 6:00 to shave her head. I have to admit I tried to put her off on doing it, but again, you all know Ash. She, Ryan, the boys, Ryan's family, and our family showed up at 6:00 ready to go.  She was seriously going to have Ryan shave her head.

When the time came it didn't go as smooth as we thought it might. It was a VERY sobering, emotional moment. There was MANY tears shed.  It was so amazing to see th strength Ryan and Ashley have, and the love they share.  This terrible trial has brought them together in a way that cannot even be explained. Before Ryan shaved her head he tearfully told Ashley what an amazing, wonderful wife she is and how much he loves and appreciates her. She told him that he has been the most wonderful "FIGHTER" she has ever seen. That shaving her head was nothing compared to all he has gone through.  

When Ryan finished shaving her head he kept telling her over and over, "Honey, you are so beautiful. Isn't she beautiful?!" 

 I am so proud of Ryan and Ashley.  I must say Ashley, you can pull off being bald. ;) We love you both!!!


Me kissing her hair goodbye 


7 comments:

  1. Tina and Mike BuetowMay 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM

    Ryan and Ashley, You both have our prayers and love. Mike and Tina Buetow

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are all amazing. The lessons you teach us all with your love and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are soo amazing. I admire your strength and courage! Hugs and prayers to you and your family!!

    The Bundy's

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for continueing to post. Being so far away it helps to be able to stay informed. Sending all our love and prayers to you both and both families. I must say Ashley you have the perfect shaped head to pull that off : )

    Roger, Katie, Torey & Teigan Holaday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ryan & Ashley:
    Who knew under all that hair that you have an absolutely beautiful head!!! I just love you guys. Your love and strength inspires and warms us all. Thinking about you each and every day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ash, you are absolutely beautiful, with or without hair!! The love you too share is incredible and inspiring! Many prayers and lots of love being sent your way! :)

    Stacey Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ash, you are beautiful with or without hair! The love you two share is incredible and inspiring!! Many prayers and lots of love being sent your way! :)

    Stacey Taylor

    ReplyDelete